Vision, Mission and Philosophy
To ignite and instill confidence and skills to excel in a global and changing environment.
Virginia Chance School is an independent school that serves children ages 2 through 5th grade. As a diverse community of learners, we commit to excellence and respect through a joyful, challenging and progressive program. With an intentional whole-child approach to education, each individual reaches his/her cognitive, social, emotional, moral and physical potential. Virginia Chance students graduate as confident, inquisitive learners prepared to engage productively with their world.
Childhood is a continuous and unfolding process. All children advance through stages of development cognitively, socially, emotionally, morally and physically, and benefit from developing positive attitudes about learning and living in a democratic society. Therefore, at Virginia Chance School:
- We believe in creating a learning environment that is welcoming and provides a culture of mutual respect. A sense of community is intentionally established to empower students to build meaningful relationships and to feel safe to take risks. Our environment instills a joy of learning by encouraging and supporting curiosity, discovery, creativity and an open exchange of ideas through collaboration and cooperation.
- We believe in establishing a physical environment and learning spaces that are conducive to independence, responsibility, community and that reflect student ownership, thinking and learning.
- We believe learning and experience are inseparable. Day by day we empower children to construct knowledge and understanding through active engagement, hands-on learning, and social interaction. Learning opportunities are relevant because children benefit from making connections and contributions to the real world.
- We believe children deserve and benefit from being in nature and nature-based learning. Through play, open exploration, and guided experiences, students make connections, interact with the world and develop environmental stewardship.
- We believe in guiding children with dignity and respect. By using positive discipline and respectful language, Virginia Chance students are empowered to solve problems and to become responsible, capable citizens.
- We believe children benefit from having a voice. Choices and decision-making blended with routines and expectations create a culture for optimal learning and develop the foundation of habits, skills, and attitudes.
- We believe in nurturing self-reliance and self-confidence daily. A strong sense of self and identity is vital to being an engaged learner and healthy participant in one’s learning journey.
We believe that teachers, as facilitators, guide, support and challenge learners to work toward reaching their full potential in all areas of development.
- We believe in honoring the uniqueness of each individual. By acknowledging, encouraging and celebrating diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion, we facilitate the discovery and acceptance of ourselves and others.
- We believe in establishing a sense of community by having a partnership between home and school. Together with educators, administrators and parents contribute to the life of the school in ways that benefit children.