Elementary » Graduate Performance

Graduate Performance

In middle school and far beyond, Chance graduates stand out. Having completed the program through Grade 5, graduates are prepared and ready for their next schools. Chance graduates are the ones who love to learn and are eager to solve problems. They are independent, yet work well cooperatively. Many work above grade level in one or more areas. They take responsibility, work on a task until it is complete and put extra effort into their projects. They are thoughtful, resourceful and resilient as they adapt to new challenges. Mature beyond their years due to the full progression through Cance School's social and emotional framework within a progressive education approach, Chance graduates handle themselves with respect and poise and often assume leadership roles at their next schools and cary these formative skills throughout their life.

Our approach to education results in students who are:
  • proud of their accomplishments
  • eager to be active participants
  • confident in their abilities
  • disciplined to keep trying
  • excited about learning
  • respectful and responsible
  • thinkers and problem-solvers
What success looks like

What is success?

Because the demands of today’s world are far greater than ever before, a product-driven education is no longer sufficient. Focusing on filling in blanks on worksheets and memorizing for tests have short-term benefits; students often learn for tests and then forget the information.

Chance offers a process-driven education that develops the whole child. Our exceptionally capable students have the habits and behaviors that enable them to adapt, collaborate, achieve, contribute, lead, communicate and show respect for themselves and others. Such traits serve graduates well at their next schools, in relationships, and in careers as transformational leaders.

Transitioning to middle school
Chance students are motivated, self-directed learners who transition beautifully to middle school. Official transcripts from their next schools show that over 95 percent of our alumni earn As and Bs in middle school and attain a variety of achievements.

As graduates move forward, they adapt to demands of a new school, schedule and routine. And they handle the transition quite well. Typically, 75 percent of Chance graduates enter sixth grade at these private, independent schools: Louisville Collegiate School, Kentucky Country Day and St. Francis School. Approximately 25 percent attend sixth through eighth grades in public middle schools, which include Noe and Meyzeek Middle.

Virginia Chance School Graduate Performance

Our Graduates and How They Do After Chance

How do Virginia Chance School students do after graduation? Are students prepared once they leave Chance? How do they transition to other schools? How do they transition to getting grades? Do they make good grades? Are they successful? Do they get involved in other activities?

Have you ever pondered those questions? Wonder no more!

We have completed a three-year comprehensive search and survey of our graduates' Middle Schools to collect data – the empirical and the anecdotal – to track our graduates from the last three years. We have collected their grades, test scores, teacher comments, report cards, and information about their student activities and involvement. These results are from children who have attended other independent, public, and parochial schools.

The results are in and are no surprise to us! Over the years, we have gathered data from our graduates, and the results have been consistently outstanding. We are proud of our students – for their hard work, compassion, leadership, work ethic, involvement, positive attitudes, confidence, and success. Also, please know that we do not do admissions testing and screen for a particular aptitude or socio-economic level, so these are the results of a broad range of learners.

Below are the results of graduates for the past three years, and as you can see, they are well-prepared and reflect Virginia Chance School well:


Virginia Chance graduates are successful and outstanding learners! The chart below reveals the grades of the Middle School 6th graders. Note that 80% of our students go on to be “A students,” 20% are B+ students (A+ 13%; A 40%; A- 27%; B+ 20%), and with these scores, 100% are on the honor rolls at their schools, and there are no graduates whose grades are below a B+ average. Pass/Fail classes were not added, as not to inflate scores because no Fails were recorded. Also, many of these grades are from advanced and accelerated classes.
Middle School Teacher Comments:

In addition to the grades, a sampling of teacher comments reveal their work ethic, creativity, and love of learning:

____ is off to a very good start in 6th grade Chinese. I find him to be a very kind and caring student who often thinks about others before himself. He is very helpful to me when he reaches out to assist peers in need.

____ is a hard-working, enthusiastic learner.

___ He approaches his work with quiet determination and a natural sense of curiosity about the world.

___ She brings great creativity and imagination to her work.

___ is almost always doing more than is required.

___ has a commitment to excellence and a clear sense of personal responsibility.

___ is extremely engaged and enthusiastic.

___ demonstrates a true commitment to excellence in each project he tackles, and his pride in his work shines through when he presents it to classmates.

___ From the first day of school, he has defined himself as a learner and enjoys pushing himself to try new things.

___ is always thinking on a higher level.

___ did a wonderful job representing our school in the district math competition.

___ has been a great addition to the sixth grade.

___ He is a wonderful student, and his work is amazing!

___ shined here!

___ shows true determination, curiosity, and eagerness in the classroom.

___ actively participates in class discussions.

___ She is a happy and eager learner and has really settled into this environment comfortably.

___ displays a proficient level of understanding through her work.

Student Leadership and Activities:

A sampling of student activities reveals our graduates are very involved in their middle schools, including other independent, public, and parochial middle schools! They take the initiative to join or even form clubs. These include joining in sports (boys and girls), becoming class officers, joining after- school clubs, starting environmental/green teams, engaging in academic teams and competitions. We also see a dedication to service organizations and projects, band, instrumental and vocal music, fine arts, foreign language clubs, drama, and student government. Our graduates’ skills as learners and leaders and their social and emotional skills have empowered them; our graduates are consistently engaged and involved in their middle school's leadership and student activities.

What were the Next Schools:

Where did our graduates go and transition so well? To offer even more clarity, here is the list of their next schools in alphabetical order, and you’ll see local private, public, and parochial schools chosen within the last 3-5 years: Kentucky Country Day, Louisville Collegiate School, St. Francis School, Meyzeek Middle, Noe Middle, and Walden.

Thank you and congratulations to the parents who invest in a Virginia Chance School education for their children all the way through the program! If you have not seen our elementary program recently, please set up a tour of our elementary program and see firsthand why and how these students soar.