While the schedule remains flexible to take advantage of weather and special events, Chums program components include:
- center activities and projects that are age-appropriate
- playtime in the Funroom or on the playground in the morning and afternoon
- snack with organic milk or water provided by the school
- rest time for preschoolers during afternoon programs, allowing for sleepers to nap and non-sleepers to play quietly on mats for this designated period
- assistance with homework for elementary students, although many families prefer being involved with such assignments at home
For the early-morning option, preschoolers will be in our cottage with quiet or active play. During the 3:00-5:30 p.m. option, preschool students are blended into multi-age groups of twos, threes and Pre-K (depending on health and safety protocols).
Chums elementary students
For the early-morning option, elementary students are in the Funroom, with quiet or active play. For the 3:00-5:30 p.m. session, students are in multi-age, elementary groups (depending on health and safety protocols).
Chums begins on the first day of school and continues until the last day of the fall and spring semesters. Chums is not available on days when classes are not in session due to holidays, school breaks, conferences or professional development days. Fees are incurred according to a child’s Chums schedule. Payments are made on a quarterly basis.
Chums is organized by the Director of Extended Programs and staffed by Virginia Chance School staff and faculty. Students are grouped following safety guidelines and the appropriate ratios per age. Chums is not designed as a drop-in program to ensure a high-quality, cohesive program. The Chums option is for students needing an extended school schedule on an ongoing basis.
|2023-24 monthly rate||1 Day a week- monthly rate||2 Days a week- monthly rate||3 Days a week- monthly rate||4 Days a week- monthly rate||Full Week- monthly rate|
|7:30am - 8:30am||$46||$92||$138||$184||$230|
|3:00pm - 5:30pm||$138||$276||$414||$552||$690|
|7:30am - 8:30am||$12.50/day|
|3:00pm - 5:30pm||$37.50/day|